Admission Procedure

(A)      TO  FIRST SEMESTER / FIRST YEAR  

Admission to First year of the B.Tech. course has been centralized and a Joint Entrance Test  will be conducted by the Centralized Admission Committee (CENTAC), Government of Puducherry. Details of the examination will be published in leading newspapers by the CENTAC during the month of April / May every year. Admission is based on the qualifying examination marks (of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry) and JET marks in the ratio 1:1.

(a)    Minimum qualification for admission:

Candidates for admission to the first semester of the eight semester B.Tech. Course should have a  pass in the H.Sc., (Academic) or any other examination equivalent thereto with a minimum of 45% marks (each)  in Mathematics,   Physics and   any one of the following optional subjects : Chemistry/Bio-Technology/Computer Science/Biology(Botany & Zoology). Improvement marks secured in the first improvement attempt will be considered.

No. of attempts :

Category

No. of attempts for passing the qualifying examination

SC/ST

3

Others

2

(b) Age limit:

Candidates should be above 17 years but should not have completed 21 years towards the end of December during the year of admission. In the case of SC/ST candidates, the upper age limit is relaxable by 3 years.

(c) Pattern of admission:

Of the total number of 180 seats for the year, 85% will be allotted to the candidates from the Union Territory of Puducherry and the remaining 15% will be allotted among the candidates from Other States and U.Ts. in India.

(d) Place and Date of JET

Puducherry / Karaikal / Mahe / Yanam are the  centres for Joint Entrance Test JET and the date of examination will be announced by CENTAC during the month of April / May every year.

(e)  Pattern of JET:

  • Candidates have to answer two written papers. 

  • Each of 2 hrs. duration, one in Mathematics–Paper I and the other in Physical Science (Physics and Chemistry) – Paper II. 

  • The Mathematics paper will consist of 60 objective type questions and the physical Science paper will consist of 80 objective type questions (40 each in Physics & Chemistry).

The syllabi for the JET will be  provided in  CENTAC Information Bulletin.

(B)        ADMISSION TO THIRD SEMESTER  /  SECOND YEAR

  • Lateral entry for Diploma holders in Engineering is allowed only for residents of Union Territory of Puducherry at the second year / third semester level. 

  • The selection of candidates shall be based on a separate entrance examination, the merit ranking in this examination being the basis for admission.  

  • The minimum qualification for admission is a pass in a three year diploma or four year sandwich diploma course in engineering / technology with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate.

  • Candidates belonging to SC/ST who have a mere pass in Diploma examination are eligible

  • 10 % of the seats over and above the sanctioned intake are reserved for diploma stream with six seats in each discipline.  The candidates are admitted to their respective or appropriate fields of specialisation as noted below:

B.Tech course in which Admission to Sought

Diploma courses Eligible for Admissions

Electronics & Communication Engineering

Electronics & Communication Engineering Electronics Engineering

Electrical and Electronics Engineering

Computer Science & Engineering

Computer Science and Engineering

Computer Technology

Information Technology

Information Technology

Computer Science & Engineering

Electrical & Electronics Engineering

Electronics & Communication Engineering

Electronics & Instrumentation

Instrumentation Engineering

The  date of entrance examination for Diploma candidates will be announced during April / May, every year.

(C) PHYSICAL FITNESS

Engineering profession demands good physique and stamina.  All applicants at the time of admission should necessarily produce a medical certificate issued by a Medical Officer not below the rank of a Resident Medical Officer / Head of Government Hospital giving details about height, weight, chest measurements, conditions of heart and lungs, a detailed history of vision, hearing, etc.